Study In Singapore Education Information For Students
Singapore is a premier education hub in Asia, offering a rich and diverse mix of educational services in a safe, cosmopolitan | environment. The island's strong international reputation for quality education has drawn a legion of the world's top institutions to Singapore. International students in Singapore enjoy a wealth of options at every level, whether they opt for mainstream education or niche areas.
• Junior Colleges: Students who have completed the Singapore-Cambridge GCE 'O' Level qualification (equivalent to the Indian Standard X) may apply to one of over 17 junior colleges in Singapore for a two-year pre-university course, leading to the Singapore-Cambridge GCE ' A' Level examination. Select schools in Singapore also offer alternative, internationally recognised curricula and qualifications, such as the International Baccalaureate (IB).
• Polytechnics: Singapore's polytechnic are renowned for their market-driven and practice-based courses at a diploma level. The Polytechnics offer three-year full time diploma programs that equip graduates with specialised industry knowledge in a wide range of disciplines. Many polytechnic graduates later/pursue degree studies at top local and foreign universities.
• Public Universities: Singapore's three local universities rank among Asia's best, and offer internationally recognised undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes, as well as research and scholarship options in various disciplines.
Singapore's three public universities:
* National University Of Singapore
* Nanyang Technological University
* Singapore Management University
International Universities An array of leading international universities have established their presence in Singapore, either by setting up a campus or through collaborations with local universities.
Private and Speciality Institutes : A vast range of quality, private education organisations adds further diversity to the nation's education landscape. The schools offer a broad range of programs from certificate to postgraduate levels, in partnerships with renowned universities from around the world. There are also several speciality institutions that offer international degrees in niche disciplines.
As a leading international financial centre, and the Asian hub of global MNCs, Singapore offers the perfect launch pad for global careers.
Singapore's three local universities offer world-acclaimed business schools and programmes. The Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and National University of Singapore (NUS) MBA programmes rank among the top 40 in the world as per the latest Financial times Global MBA Rankings.
These are complemented by an array of global MBA institutional brand names, as well as distinguished private education organisations.
Applications and Procedures :
• Entry requirements vary according to the institutions, as well as the course applied to.
• Admissions for Singapore's public universities are highly competitive. Applications are assessed based on academic results, as well as other merits such as exceptional talent in sport and leadership abilities.
• Applications for Singapore's public universities and polytechnics are conducted directly online. Admissions for the public universities annual undergraduate intake in August typically open in October and close between end-December to end-March.
• Applications for the international universities are done directly with the respective university.
• Private institutions conduct their own admission exercises, and applicants should check on the application procedures with the institution direct!/ or approach a Singapore Education Specialist for assistance. Most private institutions typically have rolling intakes throughout the year.
• All foreign students are required to apply for a Student's Pass to pursue full-time studies to Singapore. The general processing time for a new application is about four weeks. This is reduced to two weeks for SQC-PEOs.
Financing Your Studies: In Singapore there are many financial assistance schemes to help international students fund their studies.
Tuition Grant Scheme: The Singapore government provides tuition grants of about 75 percent and 85 percent to students enrolled at the public universities and polytechnics respectively. International students, who avail of the grant, are required to work with a Singapore-registered cornpany for three years upon completion of their studies.
Financial Assistance Schemes: On top of the tuition grant, there are also many financial assistance schemes available for those, who need help with their tuition fees.
The schemes include:
• Tuition Fee Loan Scheme: The Singapore government offers loans of up to 80 percent of the subsidised tuition fee payable to students enrolled at the local universities and polytechnics.
• Bursaries: International students can apply for bursaries to help pay for their tuition fees and other expenses. Bursaries are awarded by institutions based on financial need, and usually do not exceed S$ 1,500 per year.
• Study Loans: Study loans are by and large offered at favourable interest rates and repayable only upon graduation. Some institutions also offer additional loans for miscellaneous expenses, such as computer loans.
• Scholarships: Many scholarships are open to deserving international students. Selection is typically based on academic merit, leadership skills and co-curricular track records.
For More informations :
Singapore High Commission
N-88, Panchsheel Park,
Telephone: +91-11- 41019801 - 04
Website : http://www.mfa.gov.sg/newdelhi
Foreign Embassies in India - http://india.gov.in
Useful Websites for Education In Singapore
Ministry of Education, Singapore - www.moe.gov.sg
Singapore Education : www.singaporeedu.gov.sg
National Institute of Education - www.nie.edu.sg
Best Wishes For You Higher Studies From - www.scholarshipsinindia.com