Acting As A Career
Actors work either for stage performances, or in films, television and radio. Some actors specialize in one medium.
In brief the following tasks are performed by an actor:
* Study scripts in order to understand the part they are playing.
* Rehearse their roles and discuss their character with director and other actors they are working with.
* Perform their roles before a live audience, a microphone or a camera.
* Use props, costumes, verbal and facial expressions to convey ideas.
* Work with other crew members responsible for lighting costumes, makeup and props.
* Promote the production through various media.
* In some roles, actors may be required to sing and dance.
Entry to this overcrowded profession is extremely difficult. There are usually no minimum educational qualifications for becoming an actor. However, since acting is involved with so many acts of our society, a college degree helps one to be better prepared for the challenges of the profession.
Admission to premier schools of drama and acting is open only to graduates with very few exceptions.
Training: While formal training is helpful, experience and talent are more critical for success. Degree/Diploma course in acting are conducted at premier training institutions as well as University Departments of Arts/Dramatic Arts/ Allied departments.
Some of them are:
* Dr.Ambedkar Marat-wada University, Aurangabad ? 431 004. (Bachelor?s degree in Drama)
* Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai ? 625 021. (Diploma in Dramatics)
* University of Mysore, Mysore ? 570 005. (Diploma in Film Acting)
* Faculty of Fine Art, Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata ? 700 050 (BA and MA course in Drama)
* University of Rajasthan, Gandhi Nagar, Jaipur ? 302004. (PG Diploma and BFA in Dramatics)
* Sambalpur University, Jyoti Vihar, Burla, Sambalpur ? 768019. (BA in Drama)
* Faculty of Performing Arts, M.S University of Baroda, Vadodara ? 390002. (BPA and MPA in Acting and Dramatics)
* Pondicherry University, Kalapet, Pondicherry ? 605014. (BPA)
* University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad ? 500046. (MPA in Theatre Arts)
* Bhartiya Natya Academy, Lucknow ? 226010. (Dip. in Acting )
* Punjab University, Patiala (Dip. in Dramatic Art)
* Andhra University, Waltair (Dip. in Acting)
* Satyajit Ray Film & Television Institute, Kolkata ? 700094.
* Film & TV Institute of Tamil Nadu, Chennai ? 600113
* Image Acting School, Film City, NOIDA ? 201301.
* Asian Academy of Film & Television, Marwah Studios Complex, FC-14/15, Film City, Sector ? 16A, NOIDA ? 201301.
* Film and Television Institute of India, Law College Road, Pune ? 411004.
* Rai University, Mathura Road, New Delhi 110044. (BPA in Acting & Choreography)
* National School of Drama, Bahawalpur House, Bhagwandas Road, New Delhi 110044 (3- year Diploma in Dramatic Arts)
Eligibility: Graduate, participation in at least 10 productions, working knowledge of Hindi & English. Age is 18-30 years. Selection will be through a preliminary test followed by a workshop in NSD premises. With increasing number of new cable TV channels, strong demand for commercials, growth of regional theatre and with a steady stream of new film, there will be jobs for the skilled and talented actors. Despite the growth in opportunities, competition for the roles is extremely keen because the glamour associated with this profession attracts large number of individuals. So only the most dedicated and determined will find steady work in this fiercely competitive market.
Acting As A Career