Career Opportunities In Fisheries
Fisheries, is a term related with the capture of fisheries including inland and sea, aquaculture, gears, navigation, oceanography, aquarium management, breeding, processing, export and import of seafood, special products and by-products , research and related activities. The contribution of fisheries to the GDP is around 1.4% and GDP contribution of agriculture sector as a whole is at 4.6%.
Fish is the primary source of protein for over one million people in the world. Fishing is also the main source of income for over 100 million people who are directly involved in fishing. In India, it is estimated that around 8 million people directly or indirectly depend on the fisheries sector. India is the fourth largest producer of fish in the world. It is also the second largest producer of inland fish. Development of brackish water and freshwater aquaculture have tremendous scope in India. Out of a total area available for culture, only 30% of fresh water area and 10% of Brackish water area is utilized.
Objective of Fisheries Education:
1. To make available the much needed technically competent extension personnel for transfer of technology.
2. To make available personnel to assist the research and development & instructors to teach.
3. To make available administrators to plan, develop & execute fisheries development plan.
4. To create aquaculturist, farm managers, exporters, traders, breeders and modern fishermen etc.
Admission to various branches of Fisheries Science at State Agricultural Universities:
To become a fisheries graduate one has to pass 4 year degree from Fisheries Colleges of State Agricultural Universities. For admission in B. F. Sc (Bachelor of Fisheries Science) course one can apply after 10 (+) 2 having PCB group. Admission is given as per merit of candidates and availability of seats. Special quota for outside state candidates are allowed to the candidates who have passed entrance exam of ICAR and are getting-fellowship too. Special reserved seats are there for Jammu & Kashmir, Mizoram, Arunachal Pradesh and Nagaland. B. F. Sc involves courses such as inland aquaculture, freshwater aquaculture, Mari culture, industrial fisheries, fish processing and post harvest technology, fish nutrition, pathology, environment, ecology and extension. Fourth year syllabus contains practical experience like on Sea cruise on Fishing Vessels for Data collection & fishing, in processing plants and on aqua farms.
After completion of B. F. Sc candidates can become M. F. Sc (Master of Fisheries Science). For taking admission in Central Institutes, one has to appear for all India level common Entrance Test conducted by ICAR, New Delhi.
Institutions working in the field of fisheries:1. Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Versova, Mumbai ? 400 061
2. Central Institute of Fresh water Aquaculture, Kaushalyaganga, Bhubaneshwar ? 751 020, Orissa.
3. Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi ? 682 014, Kerala.
4. Central Institute of Brackish Water Aquaculture, 75, Santhome High Road, R.A Puram, Chennai ? 28
6. Central Food Technology and Research Institute, Mysore, Karnataka
7. Central Institute of Fisheries Nautical and Engineering Training, Kochi, Kerala
8. National Research Centre for Cold water Fisheries, Bhimtal ? 263 136
9. National Institute of Oceanography, Dona Paula, Goa ? 403 004
10. Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagur ? 721 302 W.B
11. Central Institute of Food Technology, Matsypuri, Kochi ? 682 029, Kerala.
12. National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources, Canal Ring Road, Dilkusha, Lucknow ? 226 002
13. Andhra University, Telibagh, Waltair ? 530 003, A.P
14. Goa University, P.O Santa Cruz, Teleigao Plateau, Goa ? 403 002
15. Berhampur University, Bhanja Bihar, Berhampur ? 760 007
16. Mangalore University, University Campus, Mangala Gangothri ? 574 199
17. Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kochi ? 682 022, Kerala.
18. CAS in marine biology, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar
19. Post Graduate College of Fisheries, Osmania University, Saifabad, Hyderabad ? 500 004.
Different Fisheries College under State Agriculture Universities in India.
Sr. No and address of Fisheries Colleges:
1. College of Fisheries, Shirgaon, Ratnagiri ? 415 629
2. College of Fishery Science, Telangkhedi, Nagpur ? 01 M.S
3. College of Fisheries, Mangalore ? 575 002, Karnataka.
4. College of Fisheries, Tuticorin ? 628 008, Tamilnadu.
5. College of Fisheries, Panangad, Kochi ? 682 506,Kerala
6. College of Fisheries Science, Pantnagar ? 263 145, UP.
7. College of Fisheries Science, Nellore ? 524 004, AP
8. College of Fisheries Science, Kulia, WB
9. College of Fisheries, Rangailuna, Beharampur
10. College of Fisheries, Veraval ? 362 001, Gujarat.
11. Punjab Agriculture University, Ludhiana ? 141 004
12. College of Fisheries, Rangailunda, OUAT, Orissa.
13. Rajasthan Agriculture University, Rajasthan
14. College of Fisheries, Raha, AAU, Assam.
15. College of Fisheries, Dholi, RAU, Bihar
16. College of Fisheries, CAU, Agartala, Tripura.
Apart from these institutes offering degree & higher education include ICAR open Krishi Vigyan Kendras and trainers Training Centers at CIFA, CMFRI and CICFRI, state government introduced fisheries as a vocational course at 10 (+)2 level with active assistance from NCERT in regard developing circular & books. Also some of coastal states have fisheries schools at fishermen?s dominating villages.
Job Opportunities for Fisheries Graduates:
1. State Government: Every state government has a fisheries department in which fisheries graduate can apply for the post of Assistant Fisheries Development Officer (AFDO)/ Fisheries Extension Officer (FEO) and District Fisheries Development Officer.
2. Central Government: One can get job in central agencies like Maine Product Export Development Authority (MPEDA), Fisheries Survey of India (FSI), NIO, WHO, FAO, NACA, NABARD, EIA.
3. Academic Institutes: Candidates having degree (B. F. Sc) can apply for the post of Research Assistant, Biochemist, Biologist, Technicians etc. Candidates having Postgraduate (M. F. Sc) can apply for the post of Assistant Professor in the Faculty of Fisheries. For the recruitment as scientists in various agricultural and fisheries Institutions under the ICAR, ASRB conducts an All India Competitive Exam, Agricultural Research Service (ARS) followed by viva voce.
4. National Banks: Fisheries graduates can get jobs as a field officer, managers in agriculture loan section in nationalized as well as private banks.
5. Self Employment: As an entrepreneur, after obtaining the professional degree in B. F. Sc candidate can start their own enterprise. The financial support can be obtained through NABARD or through other nationalized banks. The main area in which fisheries enterprise can be developed are: Feed manufacturing, feed sales, ornamental fish culture and breeding, aquaculture, hatchery and seed production, commercial pearl production, fish processing and marketing, net making, fish disease diagnostic centre, consultancy services and establishment of agriclinics.
6. Private Sector: Candidates can work as a manager or officers in seafood processing and export units, aqua feed plants, fishing gear industries and in pharmaceutical companies. There is great paucity of skilled manpower in the area of designing, construction, management of fish farms and hatcheries.
7. Fishing / Ocean: The increasing demand for sea food, sea based medicines and grooming of eco-friendly industries is likely to create a huge demand for oceanographers. Fishing is one of the areas in fishery sector. Participating in deep sea Exploration has tremendous scope. Government and World Bank are always supporting to develop fishing industry by Assistance in terms of subsidies and finance.
8. Foreign Jobs: Apart from scope for higher education in fisheries in countries such as USA, Canada, Australia, Japan, China and European countries, there are demands for fisheries professional in the aquaculture and processing sectors in Gulf and African countries also. There are number of fisheries graduates doing business in foreign countries in field of aquaculture, export & impor
Career Opportunities In Fisheries