Career Opportunities In Veterinary Science
Veterinary Science deals with the study of animal health care, breeding, feeding and management practices. The job of a veterinarian is challenging keeping in view the wide range of animals. Contrary to earlier belief, veterinary profession is no longer the male bastion.
Future of Veterinary Profession:
1. India has the largest livestock population of more than 500 million heads, which contribute 15% of the world population. The demand of veterinarian to take care of this huge livestock is on the rise.
2. Due to commercialization of veterinary industry and the policies more and more international industries of food manufacturing, pharmaceutical, diagnostic and vaccine production etc. have opened up demand for veterinary professionals.
3. Increasing awareness towards veterinary education by introducing various schemes viz. National talent scholarship, junior and senior ICAR fellowships, internship allowance at higher rate and pay package to veterinary professionals equivalent to professional of other field.
4. Job prospects in comparison to other professional and technical degree programmes are better for veterinary graduates.
5. Scope for entrepreneur development in diversified areas is on the rise. Canine and feline practice in cosmopolitan cities, establishment of diary and poultry industries, milk and meat processing venture, establishment of livestock business and marketing etc. are gaining momentum.
6. Opportunities for higher education in foreign countries and demand for qualified professionals in developed country is attracting Indian veterinarian.
7. Liberalization of loans through agencies the NABARD, Rural Cooperative Banks and Nationalized Banks under the rural development programmes, establishment of policlinics and livestock sector for operationalization and monitoring of the above scheme are boosting the demand for veterinarian.
Eligibility: For taking admission in the B.V.Sc & A.H (Bachelor of Veterinary and Animal Husbandry) course, the minimum requisite qualification is 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Biology (PCB). For national level test minimum percentage required is 50% for general category and 40% for SC/ST. The minimum age requires is 17 years. Candidates are selected for this five years B.V.Sc. & A.H course on the basis of entrance test held by State Agriculture University at State level and by VCI (Veterinary Council of India) at National level. 15% seats in every college are filled through national level test and rest by the State level test.
Where to study:
1. Presently there are 38 veterinary colleges in the country which are imparting the B.V.Sc & A.H degree. There are 40 State Agricultural Universities in the country of which seven are specialized universities dealing exclusively with Veterinary Science and Animal Science including fishery education. The 15 constituent colleges are attached to these veterinary universities. Out of the remaining 33 States Agricultural Universities, 18 universities have 19 constituent colleges. Apart from these there is one constituent college of Central Agricultural University, Imphal and one affiliated to general university of Pondicherry in the country. In addition Rajasthan Agriculture University, Bikaner has accorded affiliation to two veterinary colleges under private sector.
Job opportunities: Job opportunities are not a constraint; one can go for post graduation (M.V.Sc), the minimum qualification for the post of Assistant Professor. For getting admission to M.V.Sc there is a State and National level test as for B.V.Sc & A.H. Apart from the above 38 colleges in India, IVRI (Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Bareilly, UP) offer the Master and Ph.D programmes in almost every subjects. NDRI and College of Animal Science CCSHAU, Hissar are awarding Masters and Ph.D in the animal sciences only. There are opportunities overseas for higher studies. One can also practice (A highly paid job) in a foreign country after clearing a test for licensing. A ?M.B.A? along with B.V.Sc & A.H will provide the candidate better opportunity in different industries at managerial grade. There are number of opportunities in NGOs/Societies working for the welfare of the animals and livestock owners like BAIF (Bharti Agro Industrial Federation), Help-in-Suffering, LPP (League of Pastoral People), PETA (People for Ethical Treatment of Animal) etc.
Career Opportunities In Veterinary Science