Chevening Sports Scholarship
Apply directly to British Council, New Delhi
The Chevening Sports Scholarship offers a complete scholarship to cover the costs of a 1-year Masters Degree in sports leadership, management, business or administration in an accredited University in the UK.
These awards are targeted at future leaders in sporting governance and management, who would be expected to return and help build sustainable sporting infrastructures.
In addition to the standard Chevening awards, UK Sport will provide Chevening sports leadership scholars with a surrounding programme of relevant activity, including voluntary and community activities, attendance at sporting events, work placements and visits, during their stay in the UK. The surrounding programme will be tailored to meet individual interest and location .
Chevening Sport Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
* The candidate should ideally have 2-5 years work experience and have a proven track record of success or excellence in their professional field, specifically in areas of sports physical education, sport management or sports governance.
* They should display both intellectual ability and leadership potential and be able to demonstrate the benefit they will receive from the Sports Masters degree programme in the UK.
* On their return, they should be able to substantially contribute to developing sustainable sporting infrastructure in the country, preferably at the grassroots level.
* They should be able to show how they will play a crucial role in developing ties between India and the UK in the field of Sport
In terms of the pilot programme International Inspiration (International Inspiration is a sport development initiative, which aims to facilitate the participation of children & young people around the world in sport and physical education, with special emphasis on girls and children with disabilities) ; we are looking for candidates wishing to specialise in:
* sport for development ( that could link with the PYKKA (Panchayat Yuva Krida Aur Khel Abhiyan initiative)
* From NYKS (Nehru Yuva Kendra Sanghatan) the community volunteer organisation in India
* physical education - with an emphasis on developing and rolling out national strategies and curriculum development
* Keeping in mind International Inspiration's goal of empowering women through the programme, we would like to have women candidates
General Eligibility Criteria
* Indian national with a valid Indian passport
* Of outstanding academic ability with a good first degree (a minimum of upper second class) or equivalent from a recognized Indian university
* fluent in written and spoken English
* wish to study a Masters Course at a UK institution for no more than 12 months
This scheme primarily offers funding for masters programme in Sports. Candidates must apply directly to a UK institution for a place to study a Masters or postgraduate course before applying for a Chevening Scholarship
You are not eligible if you
have already started a course in the UK at the time of application
have in the past received a British Government funded scholarship
work for the British Government (including Partners across Govts like DFID or the British Council) or are related to an employee
apply from another country
are applying for part time courses
are applying for distance learning
wish to study a course of more than 12 months in duration
wish to study undergraduate degrees
Additional Eligibility Criteria
It is the responsibility of the applicants to identify a suitable masters programme.
In addition to the general eligibility criteria, applicants for Masters programmes should be able to provide evidence/ information on the status of their application to the UK University (s) in subjects related to Sports Leadership and Management at the time of putting in their application for this scholarship.
Candidates who get selected for Chevening awards must submit confirmation of admission offers from their chosen university(s) to the British Council.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to identify a suitable Masters programme and apply for a course beginning in September / October 2010 and also ensure that they secure admission.
1. Please apply for the Scholarship on the prescribed application format. Applicants also need to attach their professional and academic references (in the prescribed format).
Download the application forms here
Chevening Sports Application form
Academic Reference Form
Professional Refrence Form.
2. Applications need to be sent to the following address:
Scholarships, British Council, 17 K G Marg, New Delhi 110001. Please also mail a copy of the application along with the refernces to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. The deadline for the receipt of applications along with the references is 15 March 2010
Chevening Sports Scholarship