Birla Institute of Technology Ph.D. Admission Notification Session Spring 2014
BIRLA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, (Deemed University u/s 3 of UGC Act 1956) Mesra, Ranchi- 835215 Ph: 0651-2275868 (Dir), PBX: 2275444 / 896 Ext. 4469 Fax: 2275401 / 2276007 Website: http://www.bitmesra.ac.in/
Birla Institute of Technology - Ph.D. Admission Notification - Session Spring 2014
Applications are invited from interested candidates for admission to full-time / part- time Ph.D. programme in the following Departments and Groups: (Please see Department profiles on Institute website for research areas in each Department, and please read all other associated documents including Instructions for filling the application form, fee structure, grouping of candidates etc).
Departments: Applied Chemistry, Applied Mathematics, Applied Physics, Bio-Medical Instrumentation, Bio?Technology, Chemical Engineering & Technology, Civil Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering, Information Technology (including Information Science), Management, Mechanical Engineering, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Production Engineering, and Remote Sensing.
All candidates are advised to read this Notification before filling the application form.
A) Minimum Eligibility Criteria:
1. An applicant for admission to the Ph.D. programme of this Institute shall possess, normally, (a) an M.Phil./Master?s degree in Technology/ Engineering/ Pharmacy/ Management/ Architecture/ or equivalent, with a minimum of 60% marks at Master?s level for General candidates (55% in case of (i) Full-Time Sponsored candidates with a minimum of three years professional experience, and (ii) SC/ST candidates) or (b) an M.Phil./Master?s Degree in Science/Humanities with a minimum of 55% marks at Master?s level for General candidates (50% in case of Full-Time Sponsored candidates with a minimum of three years professional experience, and SC/ST candidates) or (c) any other discipline approved by the Technical Council of the Institute from time to time.
2. Applicants with B.Tech /B.E./B.Sc. Engg./B.Arch./B.Pharm./M.B.B.S. having a minimum of 70% marks at Graduation level for General candidates (55% in case of Full-Time Sponsored candidates with a minimum of three years professional experience, and 55% for SC/ST candidates) may also apply. This degree must entail a minimum of 4 years of education after higher secondary schooling (10+2) or equivalent.
3. However, an applicant having professional qualifications such as Associate Member of Institution of Engineers (India) / Aeronautical Society of India or equivalent may be considered for admission to the Ph.D. programme only after he/she completes the M.E. / M.Tech programme of any recognized university with a minimum of 60% marks at Master?s level (55% in case of Full-Time Sponsored candidates with a minimum of three years professional experience, and SC/ST candidates).
4. Candidates must have adequate proficiency in written and spoken English. Foreign nationals, excluding ex-students and faculty/staff members of B.I.T. International Campuses, possessing any of the qualification listed 1, 2, 3 above shall be required to clear TOEFL or any other equivalent examination prescribed by the Technical Council of the Institute from time to time to become eligible for admission to the Ph.D. programme.
NB: Candidates must hold the required degree or equivalent qualification in appropriate discipline. All candidates are directed to see the web pages of Departments of the Institute for detailed eligibility criteria additionally for each department.
(1) Candidates with foreign diplomas should see the EdCIL website for equivalence (http://www.edcil.co.in), and if required should obtain an equivalence certificate well in advance from the evaluation division of the AIU (website http://www.aiuweb.org).
(2) In case any Board / University awards grades instead of marks, the calculation of equivalent marks would be based on the procedure prescribed by the Board / University. In case a University does not have any scheme for converting CGPA into equivalent marks, the equivalence would be established by dividing obtained CGPA with the maximum possible CGPA and multiplying the resultant with 100.
B) How to Apply: To apply for the Ph.D. programme (Session Spring 2014) of the Institute, eligible
candidates must download and print the application form available on our website, and
> Send the completed form along with two recent colour photographs (one pasted on the form and one attached by paper clip to the form), with photocopies of all marksheets and certificates (see List of enclosures on page 3 below),
> Crossed Demand Draft for Rs. 2,500/- (Rs.1,500/- for SC/ST) (non-refundable) in favour of ?Birla Institute of Technology?, payable at Ranchi,
> Send in a A4 size envelope by Speedpost / reliable courier (means by which sender may track its movement on internet) to the office of Dean, Admission & Academic Coordination, Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi - 835215.
> Write Application for Ph.D. Spring 2014? on the envelope. Applications reaching us after the due date are liable to be rejected / may not be processed.
> Incomplete applications or applications received without all required enclosures are liable to be rejected / may not be processed.
The last date for receipt of completed application form is 4:00 pm on 27 January 2014
You may use one application form to apply for Ph.D. in ONLY one Department.
Please use separate application forms to apply for two or more Departments. Each application form must be complete in all respects and sent in a separate envelope along with all required enclosures and Demand Draft as above.
Candidates may apply for the Ph.D. programme in a maximum of three Departments.
C) Selection Procedures:
Selection to the Ph.D. programmes would be based on performance in a Written Test, Previous academic record and an Interview. Only such candidates, who obtain the minimum required marks in Aptitude Test, Subject Specific Test separately and the indicated total percentage of marks, will be considered for final preparation of result as given below:
Category of applicant Aptitude Test (100) Subject Test (100) Academic Record* (60) Interview (40) Total (300)
General 30% 30% - - 40%
SC / ST 25% 25% - - 35%
BIT Employees 25% 25% - - 35%
*Formula for calculation of Academic Record:-
> For candidates with M.E./ M.Tech / MCA/ MBA/ M.Sc. / M.A. = (Percentage of marks in Class10+Class12+Graduation+Postgraduation) / 6.666
> For candidates with B.E. / B. Pharm = (Percentage of marks in Class10+Class12+Graduation) / 5
Note: Up to 20% of total available seats of the respective Department may be allotted to Part-Time candidates depending upon position in merit list.
Date, Time and Venue for Ph.D. Entrance Test:
The Ph.D. Entrance Test will be held on 25 February 2014, 9 am to 1 pm at the Institute Main Building in the Institute?s Campus at Mesra, Ranchi 835215 (except those candidates who wish to join the Ph.D. programme (Session Spring 2014) at its other Campuses, the venue for the Test & Interviews will be the same Campus). The candidate must indicate the Choice of Campus in their Application Form.
The Ph.D. Entrance Test on 25 February 2014 would consist of 2 parts
a) General Aptitude Test common to all applicants, from 9.00 am to 9.45 am on 25 February 2014 and
b) Subject Specific Tests to examine basic fundamental knowledge in the subject, from
10.00 am to 10.45 am for candidates applying to only one Department
10.00 am to 10.45 am & 11 am to 11.45 am for candidates applying to tw Departments
10.00 am to 10.45 am, 11 am to 11.45 am & 12 noon to 12.45 pm for candidates applying to three Departments
venue for the above examination, please contact Controller of Examination, BIT Mesra, Ranchi / Director of respective Extension Campus.
The syllabi of the General Aptitude Test and the Subject Specific Tests for each Department can be seen on the Department web pages on the Institute website.
Date and Venue for Interviews: 25 February 2014, from 2 pm or after publication of the result of Written Test, at the concerned Department / Campus
Provisional selection lists, along with procedures for admissions, will be notified by 5 pm on the day after the interviews, on the Institute website and Notice Boards of the Institute only. No separate intimations will be sent to candidates. Provisionally selected candidates will be required to take admission by the date given, failing which vacant seats may be allotted to waitlisted candidates. The list of waitlisted candidates will also be announced on our website and Institute Notice Boards only. No separate intimations will be sent to candidates.
Candidates provisionally admitted to the Ph.D. programme will be required to fill the Enrollment Form with details of their proposed field of research, research topic, and name of their guide, within 2 to 4 weeks after their admission, and submit the same to the Dean, PG & Research, through the Head of the concerned Department. (The Enrollment Form will be available at their Department office / office of the Dean, Admission & Academic Coordination / Dean, PG & Research).
1. A limited number of Institute fellowships are available in some Departments for full-time scholars. Name of the departments where Institute fellowships are available will be displayed on the Institute website shortly.
2. In addition, some fellowships are also available through research projects in some Departments. Candidates may visit department web pages in the Institute website or contact the respective departments for details regarding the same.
3. Candidates who have qualified in CSIR ? NET / BRNS / NBHM / other selections would avail the fellowships directly from the respective organizations.
E) Documents required at the time of interviews: Candidates must carry the originals documents at the time of Test and interviews, as well as an extra set of photocopies (as given in Item No.
F) Documents required at the time of admission: If provisionally selected, candidates will be required to submit all the documents as given below in original (except the Photo ID) at the time of admission, along with the requisite fees.
G) List of enclosures required with the Application Form:
Candidates must attach one recent colour passport size photograph, identical to that affixed in the application form. The same should be attached by a paper clip. Candidates must enclose photocopies of the following documents with the duly completed Application Form:
1. Pass certificate and marksheet of Class 10
2. Marksheet of Class 12 / Intermediate or equivalent
3. Certificate and marksheets of Graduation
4. Certificate and marksheets of Post Graduation
5. College Leaving Certificate and Migration Certificate
6. Candidates with qualifications acquired through correspondence or distance-learning programmes are eligible only if (a) they acquired such qualifications as working professionals / while in employment, (b) the programmes are recognized by the DEC-UGC-AICTE or MHRD, (c) they have passed the qualifying examination at the time of applying, with minimum requisite marks as given in eligibility criteria. They must enclose photocopies of (i) work experience certificate (ii) pass certificate and marksheets of qualifying examination with their application.
7. CSIR-NET / BRNS/ NBHM/ GATE / GPAT 2013 admit card and Score card (if applicable)
8. Caste certificate / special category certificate (if applicable) in proper format (see below)
9. Sponsorship letter, NOC, Experience Certificate and Facilities available to carry out the research work at their place of working (if applicable) for Sponsored / Part-Time candidates
10. Photo identification: (Driving license, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Employee Identification Card are acceptable)
Write your Name, your telephone number and ?Ph.D. Spring 2014? on the back of each of these documents and certificates. All such papers must be stapled or stitched to the form.
> All candidates belonging to the SC, ST categories must obtain caste certificates which should be in proper format, and which should be signed by appropriate authority of rank not less than SDO. (Note: Final reservation proportion will depend on notification, if any, issued by competent authority and as accepted by the Institute).
> Candidates belonging to PH category must send photocopy of relevant certificate(s) in proper format signed by appropriate authority.
> Do not enclose any original certificates with your application at this stage.
The Admissions Office / concerned Departments may not undertake detailed scrutiny of applications before Test / Interviews, and all shortlisted applicants called for Test / Interviews, except those whose applications are summarily rejected, are allowed to appear at the Test / Interviews on purely provisional basis, subject to their eligibility being verified at the time of Test / interviews. Merely being allowed to appear at the Test / Interviews will not be considered as a ground for being eligible for admission to the Ph.D. programme. Further, mere submission of application form does not entitle a candidate to appear for the Test / Interviews.
1. All candidates in their own interest should keep photocopies of their completed forms for their own reference.
2. The lists of eligible candidates with registration number will be displayed on the Institute website.
3. Candidates whose names appear in the lists may note their Registration Numbers and should come to attend the Test and Interview. They are advised to carry a photocopy of their completed application form at the time of Test and Interviews. No individual intimation will be sent to candidates.
4. Candidates whose names do not appear in the lists of eligible candidates, may contact the Admissions Office at Mesra by telephone or fax.
5. Candidates must carry valid Photo identification at the time of Test. (Driving license, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Employee Identification Card are acceptable)
H) Sponsored Employees:
1. Candidates who are employed in recognized Educational Institutes / Universities / Colleges OR in Government / Defence / Research Laboratories OR in Industry, etc. Such candidates should normally have at least three years of experience.
2. Such candidates must submit their applications in prescribed form, along with
a) Letter of Sponsorship and
b) No Objection Certificate from their Organization
c) Experience certificate.
d) Facilities available to carryout his / her research work at their place of working
3. They must also appear for the Test and Interviews
I) Residence Requirement for External Scholar at the Institute at Mesra / its other Campuses:
The residential requirement of the external Ph.D. candidate shall be a minimum period of one semester at the Institute at Mesra / its other Campuses.
For any queries, candidates may see Ph.D. Regulations available on the Institute website (downloadable as pdf document). For any further queries, candidates may contact the Dean PG & Research by e-mail (email@example.com).
For any queries about the research areas and syllabi of the Tests, candidates may please contact the concerned Head of Department by telephone or e-mail. (Please see Directory on the Institute website for contact details).
Candidates must visit our website http://www.bitmesra.ac.in occasionally for updates / any other matters related to the admission procedures.
By order of the Vice Chancellor
Dean Admission & Academic Coordination
Dean, Admission & Academic Coordination, Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi-835215 Phone: PBX: 0651-2275444 / 896, Extn 4469, & 2275868 (D), Fax: 0651- 2275401, 2276007 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reference Website : http://www.bitmesra.ac.in/cms.aspx?this=1&mid=1246&cid=949
Birla Institute of Technology Ph.D. Admission Notification Session Spring 2014