Naba Scholarship competition Announcement For Indian Students
Higher Education has had played a very vital role in the history of nation building all over the world. It is amply clear that no rise in general standards of living and culture is possible without strengthening the higher education system in the country. It obviously calls for a multipronged strategy. There is a need to modernize our higher education system, and equally important to continuously attract young and talented students to pursue higher education. It is being increasingly observed that the brighter lot is not pursuing Post-Graduate education in our institutions of higher learning.
To emerge as a powerful nation, there is an urgent need to bring in talented boys and girls in the field of Post-Graduate education by way of providing them good incentives in the form of scholarships. The UGC, therefore, introduced a Post-Graduate Merit Scholarship Scheme for University undergraduate rank holders.
The scholarship may be tenable for a period of two years to enable the rank holders of each university at undergraduate level to pursue their Master’s Degree. All universities/degree awarding institutions would be required to issue rank certificates to the toppers of the university in B.A., B.Sc., and B.Com.
The purpose of this scheme is to attract talent for pursuing post graduate studies besides strengthening the basic subjects at Undergraduate level. The awardees, under this scheme, can pursue their Postgraduate programme in any area of specialization in any institution of higher learning in the country.
The objectives of the scheme are:
* To promote and nurture talent;
* To reward meritorious students with outstanding performance at the Under graduate level for pursuing postgraduate studies;
* To promote study in basic courses at undergraduate level. Professional courses are not covered under the scheme;
* To build up academic excellence at postgraduate level across the colleges and universities in the country.
* The First and Second Rank holders at undergraduate level and admitted in any Postgraduate Course would be awarded the scholarship. The students will have to submit the proof of their merit position at undergraduate level as well as their admission in postgraduate courses.
* The scholarship would, however, be subjected to securing a minimum of sixty percent marks at undergraduate level.
* The scheme is applicable to such students who have taken admission in regular, full-time Master’s Degree course in any recognized university, deemed university, private university, autonomous college or a post graduate college.
* The scholarship is available to the student for first PG Degree only. Age limit for the students is 30 years at the time of admission in PG course.
* Distance mode of education will not be considered under the scheme.
* The Undergraduate courses from following streams have been identified for the award of scholarships:
1.Life Sciences 2. Physical Sciences 3. Chemical Sciences 4. Earth Sciences 5. Mathematical Sciences 6. Social Sciences 7. Commerce 8. Languages
* Before verifying applications of students the concerned Universities may ensure that applicants satisfy all norms as per guidelines.
* The first and second rank holders (Not position holders) would be considered from Universities/ Institutions and non-affiliated/ autonomous colleges according to the number of students who have appeared in the examination at undergraduate level as per following table.
Nature of Institution : Affiliating Universities (State/ Central)
Number of students who appeared in examination at undergraduate level : 100
Nature of Institution : Deemed Universities/ Private Universities / Autonomous Colleges / Non-affiliated colleges
Number of students who appeared in examination at undergraduate level : 25
* Slots : 3000
* Tenure of scholarship : Two years
* Applications will be invited once in a year on the National Scholarship Portal of the Government of India. Short notification will also be uploaded on the UGC website.
* Incomplete applications will be summarily rejected. Only verified online applications will be considered for award of scholarship.
* The concerned University/ Institute should verify that the applicant is a first or second rank holder out of the specified total number of students who appeared in the examination at the undergraduate level as specified in the guidelines.
The scholar would be awarded from the date of joining the post graduate first year course as per information provided in the online application and verified by the University/ Institute/ College.
* After selection, the awardees will be paid scholarship on DBT mode.
* The list of awardees will be pushed to Public Financial Management System (PFMS) by the NIC.
* PFMS will generate payment files of the awardees and scholarship would be paid for the complete duration of the post graduate course. Payments will be generated on annual basis.
* Scholarship granted under the scheme will be kept renewed during the period of postgraduate course subject to good conduct and maintenance of prescribed attendance.
* The scholarship will be renewed for the next year of study on receipt of an annual progress report to be granted by the administrative head of the University/ Institution/ College.(E.g. Registrar of a University/ Director of the Institution/ Principal of the College or any other officer designated by them).
* Students failing to get promoted to the next class/ level would forfeit the scholarship.
* Change in course of study will not be permitted.
* Scheme will be implemented and monitored by the UGC.
* The awardees of previous years will continue to follow the UGC pattern of assistance through the designated bank branches of Canara Bank.
Scholarship (as certified by the institutions identified under this scheme) will be paid to the selected students by the UGC through DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer) Mode and will be transferred to the Bank account of the beneficiaries. This procedure will be completed through the PFMS.
The Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India vide its letter D.O. No. 18- 7/2013-U1A dated 10th June, 2016 has instructed the University Grants Commission that from the financial year 2016-17 onwards the Aadhaar will be used as an identifier for disbursement of all Government subsidies/Scholarships/Fellowships which are to be disbursed directly into the beneficiary’s account.
The Aadhaar details would be updated by the student through the host University/ Institute/ College after seeking a consent from the awardee as per provisions of the Aadhaar Act, 2016.
Amount of fellowship: Rs.3,100/- p.m for a period of two years only i.e. full duration of a PG course. No other additional grant will be payable in lieu of hostel charges and medical charges etc.
The student who is awarded Post-Graduate Scholarship for University Rank Holders will not be debarred from accepting any other scholarships.
* Scholarship of a student may be cancelled in any of the following cases:
* Misconduct of the awardee, if any, reported by the University/ Institution.
* Unsatisfactory progress report (i.e. if the candidate scores less than 60% marks in the first year of Master’s programme).
For more details refer Scholarships Publisher
Apply through Under UGC Schemes
Naba Scholarship competition Announcement For Indian Students
PyTorch Scholarship Challenge from Facebook
EdCIL Renewal Scholarship For Students Pursuing Engineering Course
Fair & Lovely Foundation Scholarships 2018