CASI Internship Overview
Since 2007, CASI has provided funding to nearly 200 Penn students. Funds for the CASI internships are made possible through the support of Penn’s Office of the Vice Provost for Global Initiatives in conjunction with Penn Abroad and the Global Research & Internship Program (GRIP) and through the generous support of CASI donors.
CASI partners with for-profit and non-profit organizations working across India on a range of development issues including health, rural development, environmental sustainability, education, gender, and social enterprise. Since 2008, CASI has partnered with 16 different organizations across India.
Aravind Eye Care System (Madurai, Tamil Nadu) – Affordable Health Care
LEAP Skills Academy (New Delhi) – Education & Social Entrepreneurship
Naandi Foundation (Araku Valley, Andhra Pradesh and Hyderabad, Telangana) – Public-Private Partnerships for Development
Public Health Foundation of India (Gurgaon, Haryana) – Public Health Research
Shahi Exports (Bangalore, Karnataka) – Worker Well Being and Socially Responsible Business
* Current Penn students enrolled in a degree program who will be continuing their academic studies during the fall of 2019 are eligible to apply.
* Penn students graduating in May of 2019 are ineligible to apply to the CASI Internship program.
* Each intern is required to spend ten (10) consecutive weeks at their host organization during the summer months.
* CASI interns are placed in groups of 2-4 students at designated partner organizations.
* Start dates may vary from early May to early June depending on accepted students’ exam schedules. All students based at each internship partnership are required to start and end on the same date so students are encouraged to be flexible until they meet their co-interns and decide on a start date.
* Penn students from all majors are encouraged to apply.
* Previous international experiences or prior work or travel experience in India are NOT required.
Penn students apply to the CASI Internship Program through the CASI internship application. Applicants are required to submit short essays that demonstrate their interest in India and the CASI program. Students may indicate their preference for an internship placement in their essay but will be guided towards a suitable placement following their interview screening and discussions with CASI Alumni.
* Attend CASI pre-departure orientation sessions in March, April, and May.
* Complete required paperwork to apply for a visa through the India Consulate General NYC.
* Contribute to the CASI Student Programs Blog throughout the summer months.
* Participate in the CASI Summer Travel Funds Symposium during the fall semester.