Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology Ph.D Admissions 2020
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology Ph.D Admissions 2020
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology envisions basic and applied research for meeting the national R&D requirements of Science and Technology in general and the Indian Space Programme in particular. The institute provides a vibrant research atmosphere and offers doctoral and post doctoral programmes.
Applications are invited from highly motivated applicants for admission to the Ph.D. Programme starting in July 2020, in the departments given below:-
(iv)Earth and Space sciences
- All scholars selected to the programme specializations listed in Table 1 shall receive a fellowship of Rs.31000/- per month. (Research Scholars selected with UGC/CSIR/NET-JRF/NBHM and State Government Science and Technology Scheme etc., shall draw fellowship from the concerned organizations). For all research scholars with external fellowship, the concerned rules and regulations apply.
- The fellowship will be enhanced to Rs.35,000/- per month based on a performance review after two years of Research.
- The scholars will be required to assist the Departments in tutorials, practical training in labs or similar academic activities normally limited to 6 hours per week.
- The scholars will have to pay applicable fees as well as charges for the services provided by the Institute like boarding/lodging/medical facilities etc., as per IIST rules.
- For those who receive fellowship from agencies such as DST, CSIR, NBHM, UGC and candidates who have been provided research fellowship by State Government Science and Technology Scheme through competitive written test etc., the Institute will not bear the fellowship of the student if the same is stopped due to any reasons by the concerned agency.
- The Institute is completely residential and will provide accommodation to all the regular Ph.D students. However, in the event of shortage of rooms in the hostels, preference will be given for room allotment to candidates whose fellowships are borne by the Institute.
- Applications will be received through on-line only.
- Candidates having fellowship from funding agencies such as DST, CSIR, NBHM, UGC, State Government Science and Technology Scheme etc, applying to research areas in Table 2 may also apply for other research areas in Table 1, if eligible.
- Candidates are advised to visit the individual department profile for more details on the respective areas of research.
- Candidates with valid fellowship from Government funding agencies shall upload a scanned copy of the fellowship award letter.
- A short-list of applicants for Online screening test or interview will be displayed in IIST website by 24.06.2020(Tentative).
- Details of Online screening test will be announced later
Selection Criteria based on Online screening test & Interview:
(i) The students who have participated in the Online screening test will be shortlisted if they secure a minimum of 30 % in each of Section A and Section B and a combined mark of 50 % and above for Section A and Section B together.
(ii) There will be a relaxation of 5 % for SC/ST/PD and OBC / EWS students, i.e., SC/ST/PD and OBC / EWS students require a combined mark of 45 % and above for Section A and Section B together, while the minimum is 30% in each of the Section A and B respectively.
(iii) There will be a 70 % weightage for the PhD Online screening test and 30 % weightage for the interview.
(iv) A student securing less than 10 marks out of 30 marks in the interview will not be selected irrespective of category and irrespective of the performance in the Online screening test.
(v) The combined mark for the PhD Online screening test and interview for a UR student should be 60 % and above to be selected
(vi) For the SC/ST/PD and OBC / EWS students, the combined mark for the PhD Online screening test and interview should be 55 % and above.
Candidates screened in through the online screening test will be called for an interview through Video Conference mode (Skype/ Zoom)
- Provisionally selected candidates list, after the interview, will be displayed in the IIST website; the date will be announced later.
- Admissions are governed by Ph.D Rules and Regulations of IIST. (https://www.iist.ac.in/academics/rules-regulations).
- The date of the Online screening test will not be changed under any circumstances. The date of interview span over a period of several days. In case the date and time of the interview clashes with the applicant’s End semester examination in his/her qualifying examination, the Institute will consider shifting the date and time of interview within the overall window available.
- During interview, candidates will be tested in their main research area and not restricted to the syllabus of the Online screening test.
How to Apply
- Applications shall be submitted online at the IIST website: http://admission.iist.ac.in. Applications received online only will be considered.
- The applicants will not be allowed to make any changes in their registration profile once submitted. Hence utmost care should be taken by the applicants while filling their profile
- Application fee for General/EWS/OBC candidates who are male is Rs. 700/- per Department (for SC/ST/PD and Women applicants – Rs.350/- per Department). If the applicant is eligible and wishes to apply for more than one Research Area in the same Department, he/she need not pay any additional application fee. The application fee is non-refundable. Applicants, who wish to apply to multiple departments, will have to pay the appropriate application fee (sum of the application fee for each department).
- The application fee shall be paid through online after the course registration only.
- Applicants who are employed in Government/Semi Government/PSUs/ Autonomous Bodies need to produce a “No Objection Certificate (NOC)” from the current employer at the time of Interview.
- SC/ST/OBC / EWS/Persons with Disabilities (PD) applicants shall upload the relevant certificate in the website before the prescribed date.
- Opening of IIST website for online submission of applications : – May 15, 2020 – 1500 hrs (Friday)
- Closing of IIST website for online submission of applications : – June 15, 2020 – 2359 hrs (Monday)
- Display of shortlisted candidates for Test : – June 24, 2020 – 1700 hrs (Wednesday) (Tentative)*
- Date of online screening test : – Will be announced later
- Publishing of screening test results : – Will be announced later
- Interview Dates : – July 06 – 10, 2020 (Tentative)*
- Display of Provisionally selected candidates : – Will be announced later
- Last Date of remittance of semester fee : – Will be announced later
- Reporting date at the Institution : – Will be announced later
- Classes begin for Ph.D Programme : – Will be announced later
* These dates are tentative and could change depending on the situation of the pandemic Covid-19 in the country.
For more details refer the Official Website : https://www.iist.ac.in/