National Institute of Technical Teachers Training and Research - Full Time Doctoral Research Fellowship
National Institute of Technical Teachers Training and Research
The National Institute of Technical Teachers? Training and Research (NITTTR), Chennai is one of the four autonomous organisations established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, with a chief aim of improving the quality of technical education in India. Established in 1964, this Institute has devoted itself to the training of teachers from Polytechnics and Engineering colleges in Southern Region comprising the four States of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamilnadu and the Union Territory of Pondicherry.
Educational Research had a humble beginning in personal projects undertaken by individual members of the faculty but reached the level of a thrust area due to UNDP assistance in 1980s. Motivated teachers continued to pursue educational research under a subsidy scheme floated by this Institute. World Bank Assisted Project laid demands on this aspect of our institutional activities. A good number of teachers of Polytechnics and Engineering colleges and members of the NITTTR faculty started showing keen interest in research. Thus the Institute reached the level of recognition by the University of Madras as a doctoral research centre in the inter-disciplinary area of Engineering Education from April 1993. Currently 48 scholars are doing research in Engineering Education. Most of them are working in Industries, Directorates of Technical Education, Engineering colleges and Polytechnics. Till date, Ph. D Degree has been awarded to 58 Scholars.
NITTTR, Chennai is affiliated to the University of Madras for the Doctoral Degree Programme in Engineering Education (Inter-disciplinary). As the Ph.D. Programme of the Institute is affiliated to the University of Madras all the rules and regulations prescribed by the University from time to time will apply to the candidates selected as Research Fellows. The candidates selected will be required to apply for admission into Ph.D. Programme of University of Madras.
OBJECTIVES OF THE SCHEME:
1. To attract bright scholars to do research in the inter-disciplinary area of Engineering Education.
2. To address the problems faced by the technical education system.
3. To augment the teaching resources of the institute and to provide an opportunity for the young scholars to gain experience in teaching/training teachers.
PRIORITY AREAS OF RESEARCH IN ENGINEERING EDUCATION (Inter-Disciplinary):
The research fellows will be required to carryout research in the following thrust areas of priority to the institute:
1. Human Resource Development (Training and development of staff of technical education institutions, industries and Government departments)
2. Curriculum development and evaluation
3. Instructional materials and media development, including e-learning
4. Teaching learning process
5. Testing and evaluation including student evaluation
6. Human Resource Management
7. Governance and educational management including Management Information SystemV
8. Student Services including Guidance & Counselling
9. Sustainable development
10. Technical education for the disadvantaged (persons belonging to Scheduled and Backward castes, minority communities, disabled persons, persons living in difficult circumstances and women)
11. Any other area relevant to Technical education
OBJECTIVES OF INTER-DISCIPLINARY RESEARCH IN ENGINEERING EDUCATION:
Research projects in the area of Engineering Education (Inter-disciplinary) are to be undertaken to fulfill the following objectives:
* to apply the concepts, principles and procedures of Engineering / Technology in the field of education and vice-versa.
* to apply research methodology in providing solutions for educational problems observed in technical education.
* to promote research culture as a distinct characteristic of the professional educators in technical, technician and vocational education.
* to foster interaction between industries and educational institutions.
* to foster interdisciplinary approaches in educational process
* to make research as an essential procedure for educational innovations.
For purposes of admission in to the Ph.D. Programme in Engineering Education and getting the fellowship from NITTTR, the following are the eligibility conditions:
(1) The candidate should have obtained a Master?s Degree in Engineering / Technology / Architecture / Computer Applications / Electronic Media / Visual Communication / Environmental Science / Physics / Chemistry / Maths / English / Commerce / Management / Psychology / Sociology / Education / HRD or any other discipline related to Engineering Education. The candidate should have secured first class at Master?s degree with atleast 60% marks or equivalent Grade.
(2) The candidates who have studied their Master?s Degree Course through Correspondence will not be eligible.
(3) The candidate should have passed two year Post Graduate Degree Course after 3 year Degree Course and Higher Secondary of 12 years duration or Pre-University under 11 year SSLC + 1 year or 10 +2 pattern. Candidates who have passed the P.G. Degree Examination with less than 17 years of total duration of the course are not eligible for admission to Ph.D. Programme.
(4) The candidate should not be getting salary or pension or fellowship from any other source.
(5) Age limit: Candidates less than 40 years of age alone are eligible (age relaxation will be given to SC/ST/OBC/PD candidates as per Government of India?s norms).
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF FELLOWSHIPS AND RESERVATION OF SEATS:
The maximum number of full time research fellows to be selected per year is 10. The statutory provisions (as per Government of India?s regulation) for reservation of seats will be available to the candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC and Persons with Disabilities (PD).
SCREENING OF APPLICATIONS:
All applicants need not be called for the written test. The screening committee may fix additional / stiffer criteria and may restrict the candidates to be called for the written test, only to certain disciplines and / or to those applicants who have secured marks higher than a cut off score specified.
The selection of fellows will be made by a selection committee constituted by the Director. The selection committee will conduct a written test on ?Teaching & Research Aptitude?. The written test will also be used as a Screening test i.e. only those candidates who score above a cut off point (to be specified by the selection committee) will be interviewed.
The weightage for different parameters of selection is given below:
Parameters - Weightage
Master's Degree Mark 30%
Mark in the written test 30%
Mark in the interview 40%
The syllabus for the written test, pattern of the question paper and sample questions can be downloaded from the institute?s website (www.nitttrc.ac.in).
The duration of the fellowship will be for a period of 3 years with provision for extension of one more year.
The rate of fellowship amount is given below.
A. For holders of M.E. / M.Tech. or equivalent
First and Second year Rs. 14,000/- per month
Third and Fourth year Rs. 15,000/- per month
B. For holders of M.Sc. / M.C.A. / M.B.A. or equivalentFirst and Second year Rs. 12,000/- per month
Third and Fourth year Rs. 14,000/- per month
Full time fellows have to pay the admission fees and tuition fees to NITTTR, Chennai as per the prescribed rates, which may be revised from time to time.
The present rates of fees are as follows:
Admission Fee: Rs.2,000/- (one time payment)
Tuition Fees: Rs.10,000/- per semester (There will be two semesters in a year)
The fellow will be required to bear the cost of application forms such as for admission, registration, submission of synopsis and thesis and pay all required fees to the University of Madras.
Research fellows are entitled for a maximum period of 30 days leave in a year in addition to public holidays. They are not entitled to any other leave, for example summer, winter, pooja vacation etc. Women candidates are eligible for maternity leave of 180 days at full rates of fellowship once during the tenure of their award.
MONITORING OF WORK:
(i) The fellow will undertake fulltime research work under the approved guide in a subject selected by him / her and approved by the institute and University of Madras.
(ii) The fellow will be required to assist the Supervisor/Department/Institute in which he / she is working in academic activities such as teaching, guiding tutorial sessions, laboratory, evaluation of test papers and conduct of seminars and symposia for 8 hours per week.
(iii) The fellows will be required to submit 6 monthly progress reports ending in the month of June and December duly forwarded by their supervisor, Head of the Department and Head of the Department of Policy Planning and Educational Research.
(iv) In addition to the Doctoral Committee constituted by the University of Madras, the Director of NITTTR in consultation with the supervisor will constitute a separate monitoring committee for each fellow. The committee will consist of the following persons (i) Director (Chairperson), (ii) the Supervisor, (iii) the Head of the Department of Policy Planning and Educational Research and (iv) one or two faculty members of the institute to be nominated by the Director. The extension of the fellowship will be based on the recommendation of the monitoring committee.
(v) If the progress of research fellow is found unsatisfactory, NITTTR reserves the right to terminate the fellowship at any point of time and take suitable action as it may deem fit.
(vi) If a fellow wishes to relinquish the fellowship during the tenure he/she should get the prior approval of the institute, by giving at least one month notice.
(vii) During the period of fellowship, the candidate should not take up any part time job.
(viii) If a fellow drops out without any intimation, suitable action will be taken by the institute as it may deem fit.
(ix) The fellow will abide by all the rules & regulations of the institute laid down from time to time.
PUBLICATION OF THESIS:
All the fellows shall submit to NITTTR one copy of the final form of the thesis and an electronic version in PDF format after the Viva Voice Board recommends the award of the Ph.D. Degree. NITTTR will consider publication of completed research in an appropriate form. The fellow can apply to NITTTR to publish his / her research work elsewhere.
CANCELLATION OF FELLOWSHIP:
The fellowship is liable to cancellation in case of:
Candidate found ineligible later
Failure in any of the examinations related to Ph.D.
Unsatisfactory progress of research work
Information Brochure alongwith Application form can be downloaded from NITTTR website (www.nitttrc.ac.in). While submitting the downloaded application form, the candidates have to send a Demand Draft for Rs.500/- (Rs.250/- in the case of SC/ST/PD candidates) drawn in favour of ?The Director, NITTTR, Chennai? payable at Chennai.
The completed application form along with attested copies of all mark sheets, certificates and other required enclosures (as per the checklist enclosed with the application form) should be sent to the following address before the prescribed last date i.e. 30th June 2013. (Please write ?Application for Doctoral Research Fellowship Programme? on the Cover).
The Director, National Institute of Technical Teachers Training and Research, Taramani, Chennai - 600 113. Tamil Nadu, India.
National Institute of Technical Teachers Training and Research - Full Time Doctoral Research Fellowship