Physiotherapy means physiotherapeutic system of medicine which includes examination, treatment advice and instructions to any person in connection with movement, dysfunction, bodily malfunction, physical disorder, disability, healing and pain from trauma and disease.
The physiotherapists skill are required by the health care team in most disciplines of medicine including surgery, neurology, orthopedics, gynecology, obstetrics, dermatology, ENT, cardiothoracic, vascular surgery, pediatrics, rehabilitation and sports medicine, etc.
Purpose of physiotherapy :
The purpose of physiotherapy is to decrease body dysfunctions reduce pain caused either by trauma, inflammation, degeneration, and surgery. The various conditions in which physiotherapy useful are as follows:
1) Management of a fracture and return to normal function is possible with simple methods of physiotherapy. It allows for regain of full joint movements and muscles power after healing of a fracture.
2) In joints and soft tissue injury rapid repair of damaged tissue occurs with quick reduction of pain and swelling.
3) Restoration of full joint movements with reduction of pain and deformity is possible various kinds of joint diseases like osteoarthritis, rheumatoid, arthritis juvenile arthritis etc.
4) In degenerative disease of spine, physiotherapy arrests the progress of disease as in cervical spondylosis. Suitable arthroses are also provided for giving support to spine. It also has a major role to play congenital disease of spine like spina-bifida.
5) Chest physiotherapy has a vital role to play in medical and surgical conditions like bronchial asthma, chronic obstructive lungs disease, pneumothorax but also surgical procedures involving spine, pelvis, extremities and abdomen.
6) In hemiplegia or paraplegia physiotherapy greatly helps the patient to gradually increase his mobility.
7) In children physiotherapy is assuming real importance in children with cerebral palsy, spina-bifida, clubfoot, muscular dystrophy etc.
8) It easies labour and return to normal after delivery. It is also useful in gynecological problems like incontinence, prolepses of uterus, pelvis inflammatory disease.
9) Sort medicine- A physiotherapist is mandatory for any sport event. He maintains the fitness of sports person and provide first aid in case of various sport injuries.
The aims of the physiotherapy education :
1. To produce the physiotherapists with basic knowledge and skill.
2. To enable them to recognize the disease, traumatic, physical and mental conditions affecting health.
3. Take steps to prevent such diseases.
4. To treat such diseases scientifically.
5. To be able to recognize and referred patients for the timely intervention of other healthcare professional specialized in the area of investigation and skilled treatment.
6. Must be capable of under taking further study and advancing the knowledge and be able with further training to undertake teaching, research and practice.
Scope of Physiotherapy :
Physical therapists practice in:
Residential homes/ Rehabilitation centers
Private offices/Private practices/Private clinics
Community health care centers/ Primary health care centers
Fitness centers/ Health clubs
Occupational health centers
Senior citizen centers
Public settings( e.g. shopping malls)
Courses : 1) Bachelor of physiotherapy/ B.Sc. (Hons.) physical therapy duration:- 4 and 1 /2 year (including Internship) Eligibility for admission: - Inter Science with Biology with 50% marks.Process of admission: Through entrance test. Entrance test will be held in April or May.Age: not less than 17 years.
2) Master in physiotherapy (M.P.T) Duration: 2 years , Eligibility: B.P.T. (4 and 1/2year) Speciality: Neurology, Orthopedic/ Musculoskeletal, Sports, Cardiothroacic and Rehabilitation. Commencement of the course: The course will commence from the 1st April, every year.
Physiotherapy - Other Courses And Institutes