Study Abroad In United Kingdom

Study Abroad In United Kingdom

Study Abroad In United Kingdom


Study Abroad In United Kingdom

If your option is studying in UK, Great choice. Many factors might have influenced you in this decision. Main thing is the credibility of the institutions and the acceptance value of the degrees/ diplomas there.

Application process and requirements:

Application requirements will generally include your academic records, standardized tests (scores), letters of recommendation, and statement of purpose (SOP).

Applications are made through a computerised national system known as UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admission Service), which allows the students a choice of six universities and courses. The form is available from British Council offices in India. The UCAS forms are to be submitted before 15lh December of the preceding year. Even after 15* December, applications can still be processed in the normal way until June 30. After that the applications will be handled through clearing process. For Oxford and Cambridge, the application must be made before Oct. 15 and you cannot apply to both universities in the same year.

Academic: In UK, the pre-university education is for 13 years and the Indian student must have outstanding marks in their CBSE or JCSE exams or they have to undergo the first yearof an Indian degree programme to get direct admission. For those who have not got these qualifications, there are foundation courses that range from 4 months to a year.

A specified number of subject passes both CCE advanced Levels and CCSE at grade C minimum is the general UK requirement (UK system). Equivalent Indian qualification like CB5E, ICSE etc are also acceptable. Course requirement details will be available from British Council Offices/ libraries in India. For Oxford, Cambridge and London Universities, advanced level results are required. (In Indian context it is one year in college after 12 years of education.)

For Bachelor/ undergraduate programme, secondary school report and transcript (report cards) of the final exam is a must. The report form is to be filled in by the school official (principal, headmaster etc), The report shoufd talk about your accomplishments and give an estimate of your chances for success in university level studies. It should also include the grading standards of your educational system. If the transcripts are not in English, this must be translated in to English (only by the issuing authority).

For most courses and universities, international students should take IELTS (International English Language Test) administered regularly by the British Council. (Some universities accept TOEFL scores). Some universities waive this requirement if you have been studying in English medium throughout.

Qualifications you get from UK Colleges and Universities: First Degree Courses in Arts and Sciences (Bachelor's degree) are normally of three or four years' duration and are largely taught courses. Sometimes you may have to write a short thesis.

Sandwich Courses are where the coursework is accompanied by practical work. A student could either complete 2 years of college, then a year of commercial training before returning for a final year in college. Or, he/she could do a 4-year course with 3-6 months training interspersed each year. Many universities offer this type of education.

Higher National Diploma (HND) is awarded by Vocational and Technical Educational Councils. This is a 2-year course in a vocational subject (scientific and technical business). Emphasis is placed on work experience. The credits can be transferred.

Vocational Courses offer an opportunity to enter the university system slowly. Business and Technology Education Council (BTEC), General Vocational Qualifications (GNVQ), General Scottish Vocational Qualifications (GSVQ) offer recognized courses in a range of disciplines.

Postgraduate study may take the form of an independent piece of research under supervision -or a taught course. The taught courses normally last for one or sometimes two years. Completion of a doctorate normally takes a minimum of three years. There are courses to help you update, improve or upgrade your knowledge. These courses do not lead to any formal qualification or 'credit' although certificate of satisfactory attendance may be given. If you want a degree qualification, you have to follow the specific course requirements.

Scholarships & fellowships

Chevening scholarship - Chevening is the UK government's flagship scholarship scheme, aimed at future leaders, opinion formers and decision-makers. The programme is funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and managed by the British Council worldwide, supporting around 2,000 international students annually to study in the UK.

The India programme began in 1987 and has supported over 1900 Indians to date. It comprises of a range of short-term tailor-made professional courses and long-term taught academic courses tenable at various higher education institutions in the UK. The aim of the British Chevening Scholarship is to provide opportunity to deserving Indian students and professionals, who wish to study or train in the UK, by providing financial assistance,

The Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarship

The Charles Wallace India Trust awards are managed through the British Council and concentrate primarily on the arts and humanities.

Student visa

Your visa applications have to be made on IM2A forms. These are available, free of cost at the British Embassies. This form has to be filled up by the student and submitted to the embassy, along with the Visa application fee and the required documents.

For more informations:

High Commission for Britain, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi-110 021


Study Abroad In United Kingdom