Study Abroad in USA-Admissions

Study Abroad in USA-Admissions

Study Abroad In USA-Admissions


Study Abroad In USA-Admissions

If you opt for higher studies in the US, more than 3,300 accredited colleges and universities, which offer a wide range of graduate and undergraduate programs await you. The innumerable options in learning makes the US a dream destination for international students.

From US Universities you get mainly two types of programmes.

Undergraduate programs (Bachelor degree): You can join for an associate degree (two years) and later use the credits earned here for Bachelor degree (additional 2 years of study)

Graduate Programs (Master's & Doctorate degree) is the same as post-graduate education in India. You have to study one year or more depending on the subject or course. You earn a master's degree like MBA, MS or MA. For doctoral degree (PhD) you have to earn more credits. This may take 3 to 5 years. Admission to a graduate program usually requires a minimum of 16 years of formal education. That is, 12 years of primary and secondary schooling and further 4 years of college education.

You must note that there is no central ministry of education or agency in the U.S. that sets admission standards. Each institution can decide its own programs and admission standards. There are private as well as state funded colleges.

Universities are academic institutions that include one or more undergraduate colleges, as well as any number of graduate and professional schools, i.e. schools offering study for a single profession such as law.

Four year colleges are undergraduate institutions offering academic programs leading to a bachelor's degree. Communitycolleges or junior colleges are undergraduate institutions offering upto two years of academic instruction beyond secondary school at a relatively low cost.

Institutes of technology or polytechnic institutes offer specialized programs in sciences and engineering, in addition to basic sciences, humanities and the social sciences, at both the graduate and undergraduate levels.

Accreditation is a process by which universities and their programs are recognized for maintaining a certain level of performance and quality. Accreditation is usually done by non-governmental agencies called accreditation bodies. (There is no governmental agency that assures the quality of education in US). There are two types of accreditation: regional & professional, The government of India recognizes only accredited (by a body of repute) universities.

If you want to join a university course, you can do it in fall semester (September/October) or in spring semester (jan/Feb). Many universities have summer semester (usually short). Some universities admit students in this semester also.


If you have a consistently good academic records, financial support and proof of proficiency (usually TOEFL) In English, you can apply for admission to a US university.

If you wish to apply for an Undergraduate Programs (like BS, BE, BA etc) Colleges will ask for 12 years of formal education (12th examination or junior college in India) The acceptable certificates include: Indian School Certificate, Intermediate Certificate, Higher School Certificate, Higher Secondary Certificate, and All India Senior School Certificate.

For Graduate Programs (MS, MA, MBA etc) most schools require qualifications comparable to a U.S. Bachelor's degree (Four-Year Degree Program) or a minimum of 16 years of formal education. In the Indian context, this implies qualifying in either a professional four-year course like engineering or other such courses. (If you have a 3-year degree program in India, better apply for a Post Graduate degree in India.

A one-year university affiliated program will make up for the fourth year of a U.S. Undergraduate degree.)

You are to take standardized tests like CRE, CMAT, LSAT and TOEFL etc. depending on the course or program chosen. A minimum of 550 (Paper-based test) or 220 (Computer-based test) in TOEFL eases your admission (for graduate courses), But for financial aid, the minimum score required is 600 (Paper-based test) or 250 (Computer-based test).

Application forms

Start your enquiries at least 12 to 18 months before the proposed date of admission. First short-list the courses and institutions/universities. Start getting details and application forms. You may send an e-mail to the university admission office for the application forms. Most universities have a form on their website which can be completed online to request application material. Or, you can send a request by airmail for application material. The request should contain a brief description of your educational background, academic objectives, sources of financial support, English proficiency and standardized test scores.

F-1 (Student Visa). The F-1 visa is for full-time students enrolled in an academic or language program. F-1 students may stay in the US for the full length of their academic program plus 60 days. F-1 students must maintain a full-time course load and complete their studies by the expiration date listed on the I-20 form.

J-1 (Exchange Visitor Visa). The J-1 visa is issued for students needing practical training that is not available in their home country to complete their academic program. The training must be directly related to the academic program. The J-1 visa obligates the student to return to their home cou ntry foraminimumof two years after the end of their studies in the US before being eligible to apply for an immigrant (permanent residence) visa.

Applicants should apply at the consular section of the American Embassy on any working day, Monday through Friday, between 8:30 and 10;00 AM.

For more details and updated informations please contact US - American Embassy In India

Given below Is a list of US embassies in various cities of India - New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai, where you can apply for a visa.

To Contact the U.S. Embassy and the American Center:


U.S. Embassy Shantipath, Chanakyapuri New Delhi - 110021 Tel: 011-2419-8000 Fax: +91-11-2419-0017

American Center 24, Kasturba Gandhi Marg New Delhi - 110001 Tel: 011-2347-2000

Email addresses:

Nonimmigrant visa Immigrant visa American Citizens Services General Webmaster questions Website:

Consulates and the American Centers:


Consulate General 5/1, Ho Chi Minh Sarani Kolkata- 700071 Tel: 033-3984-2400 Fax: +91-33-2282-2335 email:

American Center 38/A, Jawahar Lal Nehru Road Kolkata - 700071 Tel: 033-2288-1200 email:


Consulate General No. 220, Anna Salai Chennai - 600006 Tel:044-2857-4000 email:

American Center No. 220, Anna Salai Chennai - 600006 Tel: 044-2857-4000 email:


Consulate General Lincoln House 78, Bhulabhai Desai Road Mumbai - 400026 Tel:022-2363-3611 email:

American Center 4, New Marine Lines Churchgate Mumbai - 400020 Tel: 022-2262-4590 email:


Hyderabad Consulate General Paigah Palace 1-8-323 Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet Secunderabad- 500003 Andhra Pradesh Tel: 91-40-40338300


Study Abroad in USA-Admissions